- Project structuring, planning and scheduling
- PHP (OOP) / MySQL
- WordPress specialist, Laravel, bespoke web applications
- UX and UI design
- Writing, editing and proof-reading
I worked directly with Alex from when he joined the company. He is a great example of a developer that can single-handedly take a brief and turn it round into working, launched software. He has a methodical approach towards development and is capable of both front-end and back-end development, being able to work confidently within WordPress and Laravel.
Alex really had a very holistic thinking about complex development work he did for Mealtek and on other client work. He would spot problems with specifications he was given and propose better solutions and really take ownership of each project. He would spend careful time mapping out each development, including some very complex algorithm and data manipulation. Conversely, Alex was always extremely fast and accurate at doing basic front-end HTML work. I have not worked with anyone who could code up web pages as fast or as pixel-perfectly as Alex before.
I have worked with Alex for two years on the creation of our website. We started with the bare bones of an idea and a basic concept that Alex has developed and run with. Alex has gone from building a professional, informative website for Wonderland Memorabilia to adding on further facilities so that our customers can buy from us online. He has recently implemented a voucher redemption system. Alex has always addressed every request, query or idea immediately so that we do not miss a beat during our working day. He has also created our in-house booking systems, which have evolved over the past couple of years and provide a great platform for our bookings team to manage every single customer order. I highly recommend Alex; he has the visual sense, foresight, imagination and skill to truly understand his customers’ requirements and produce what is needed.
Developer / Digital Producer @ Hallam Internet
February 2018 — January 2019
- Lead back-end developer on WooCommerce and API integration projects.
- Promoted to role of Digital Producer (project manager).
- Planned and oversaw eight different projects, including two with £30,000+ budgets.
Developer @ Fifteen Design
October 2015 — January 2018
- Lead back-end developer on more than a dozen major projects.
- Front-end developer on award-winning Love My Skin website (AVA Digital Awards – Platinum, Communicator Awards – Distinction, Good Web Guide - Shortlisted).
- Involved in project management, quoting, specification and liaising with clients.
- Responsible for company’s annual R&D tax credit claim.
Manager, Editor, Ghost-Writer @ Life Story Gifts
February 2011 — October 2016
- Established independent business and online brand.
- Edited and produced more than 30 biography book projects.
- Managed small team of freelance writers, sub-editors and typists.
Freelance Web Developer
February 2011 — October 2015
- Managed projects for more than 20 clients, both local and worldwide.
- Hired designers and collaborated with other freelance developers.
- Fostered long-term working relationships with start-ups and established businesses alike.
Co-owner, Designer @ Worn By Legends
January 2010 — April 2014
- Partner in online t-shirt business.
- Produced over 100 t-shirt designs.
- Managed distribution and customer services.
Editorial Assistant @ Associated Northcliffe Digital
September 2007 — July 2010
- Author of over 900 obituaries of celebrities, military casualties and notable local figures for the Northcliffe newspaper group’s nationwide memorials portal, Lasting Tribute.
- The website won several industry awards, including the Data Publishers Association’s ‘Outstanding Achievement’ prize and ‘Digital Team of the Year’ from the Newspaper Society.
- Developed templates and wrote content for the Lasting Tribute blog.
IT and Media Manager @ Wonderland Memorabilia
September 2005 — September 2007
- Managed company’s online presence (website, eBay Store and PPC).
- Introduced new IT systems to improve efficiency within the company.
Content Developer @ Northcliffe Electronic Publishing
February 2005 — August 2005
- Produced entertainment copy covering film, music, books, the visual arts and television for the ‘This Is’ network of local newspaper websites.
- Designed, coded and managed dedicated music festivals section of network.
Founder, Editor @ The National Student
April 2003 — May 2004
- Founding editor of nationwide student newspaper still published today.
February 2009 — October 2010
BA Hons, First Class
University of Lincoln
September 2001 — May 2004
Hobbies & Interests
Playing in a band